Green Tea Shot Overview
The delicious Green Tea Shot is also known as “Jameson Green Tea”. Green tea shot is a simple to drink bursting with irresistible sweet and sour flavor, it has a colorful green color. This whiskey-based green tea shot cocktail recipe was actually invented by the Jameson whiskey company. This is a popular whiskey-based cocktail with the addition of peach schnapps. Green Tea Shot includes Savvy mixologists may scoff at the ingredients (and the name) but it’s actually a perfect combination of sweet and sour.
The combination of ingredients has a delicious peachy, citrus flavor that is not unlike the taste of green tea. Green Tea Shot can be specially used to refresh in the summertime. The name of this tea comes from its green color, not from its ingredients. If you expect it is an alcoholic drink with green tea in it, you may be surprised when you hear, that there is no green tea in the Green Tea Shot. All things are included that need to make a difference Jameson whiskey. Things are peach schnapps, sour, and lemon-lime soda.
This classic recipe of green tea shot has a unique sweet and sour flavor that is always a crowd pleaser. The most popular shots are just like Lemon Drop Shots, Pineapple Upside Down Cake Shots, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch Shots, it’s great for parties or get-togethers with friends. Go with this Irish green tea whiskey shot! Although this green tea shot doesn’t actually contain green tea, it somehow tastes as it does.
These bad boys are perfect for party shots, pre-gaming shots, or as some fun little shooters when you have friends over. And if you love our green tea shot recipe as much as we do, here are some other related mixed drink recipes you’ll probably dig: Chinese Green Tea Lychee Cocktail, Green Tea Cosmopolitan, Scooby Snack Cocktail Tails, Scooby Snack Jello Shots, and Jameson Margaritas.
Why Is It Called a Green Tea Shot?
The name of this drink comes from the way it looks, its color, its taste, and also because of its ingredients. It looks like similar to a green tea shot! Can you imagine that, taking a sip of a tasty Green tea shot and filling your mouth with this drink instead? I may have thought of next year’s April Fool’s prank for my husband.
What’s In A Green Tea Shot?
So if the Green Tea Shot contains no green tea, what’s in it? It only contains a few ingredients:
- Jameson Whiskey
- Peach Schnapps
- Sour Mix
- Lemon-Lime Soda
The real inventor of Green Tea Shot was Jameson Whiskey Company, green tea shot is to stick with Jameson to stay true to its origins. But feel free to substitute your favorite Japanese, Irish or American whiskey as well. You’ll want to finish your shots with a splash of lemon-lime soda to tone down some of the intensity, add a little sweetness, and introduce some carbonation for a rounder and more balanced drink. And even though it’s called a green tea “shot,” don’t feel like you have to finish it all at once. Most like to drink it in 4-5 sips.
DO I NEED GREEN TEA TO MAKE THESE SHOTS?
Sorry, If I disappoint you, but you won’t get antioxidants and health boosts here, just one sip of happiness! Green Tea is not important to make Jameson green tea shot. It has a combination of pearl alcohol and a splash of bubbly soda. If you’re looking for a non-alcoholic recipe, try this version to taste a green tea shot.
Do I Need Any Special Tools?
You need a cocktail shaker (affiliate link) to make a Green Tea Shot. However, I have made many cocktails that are traditionally made using a shaker using a mason jar glass with a screw-on lid. So the bottom line is that you don’t need any special tools to make a green tea shot.
- Combine whiskey, peach schnapps, and sour mix with two ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Stir for about 10 seconds to combine all ingredients.
- Fill your shot glasses 3/4 full with the green tea shot mixture, using a bar strainer to prevent the ice from falling out.
- Top each shot with lemon-lime soda.
- Enjoy your green tea shot immediately after preparation.
What’s in It?
A green tea shot is made with a combination of four ingredients:
- Jameson Irish Whiskey – If you like, you can substitute another brand of whiskey for the Jameson Irish Whiskey. Since it will be mixed with other ingredients, the brand of whiskey is not very important.
- Sour Mix (affiliate link) – You can buy it at the store or make it yourself.
- Peach Schnapps – This is a type of fruit brandy made by boiling peach juice with a clear grain base liquor. The taste is intensely fruity!
- Lemonade or Sprite – I prefer lemonade for this drink because it makes it less sweet, but my husband likes Sprite because of the added fat and sweetness.
- Soda – I prefer Sprite, but feel free to use any other lemon-lime soda. If you want to avoid carbonation, try using lemonade instead.
- Ice cubes – Mixing the shots with ice cubes will make the shots extra cold.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
Taste – Green tea shots are sweet and complex with a hint of whiskey.
Texture – Green Tea Shooters are light and refreshing, with the consistency of lemonade.
Effort – This easy green tee shot takes very little effort. Just pour, stir, and serve!
Time – Preparation takes only a few minutes!
Green Tea Shot Calories
For a drink so small, this shot is packed with lots of sugar. Most of the sugars come from the soda and lemonade but if you limit your shots to one, that should be enough.
- Servings – 2 oz.
- Calories – 280
- Total Fat – 11 g
- Cholesterol – 25 mg
- Sodium – 360 mg
- Total Carbs – 34 g
- Dietary Fiber – 4 g
- Sugar – 23 g
- Protein – 11 g
A single shot of this needs at least 45 minutes of cycling, 30 minutes of running, and 1.9 hours of cleaning. That’s one good excuse to do some spring cleaning!
The Rise to Fame
The green tea shot was virtually non-existent until 2011 when drinkers from the US, particularly in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Ohio, started making the shot trending. While it may not be as popular in other countries as the States, countries like Canada, Australia, the UK, and India also seem to like it.
Are Jameson’s green tea shots strong?
These shots don’t have a strong flavor, but they have a good alcohol content and a strong kick. They’re so tasty, it can be easy to have too much if you’re not careful.
HOMEMADE SOUR MIX
- Make simple syrup – Put water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar. After the sugar has dissolved, pour the simple syrup into a glass jar to cool.
- Add Lemon and Lime Juice – When the simple syrup has cooled, add the lemon and lime juice and stir or stir well.
- Store-bought sourdough mix – Although we recommend making your own sourdough mix because it’s easy to make, you can also buy it from the store if you don’t feel like making it yourself or don’t have the time.
- Whiskey – Substitute Jameson or your favorite whiskey for Sentry Whiskey.
- Lemon Lime Soda – You can replace the sparkling lemonade with lemon-lime soda, lemon soda, or lime soda. Lemon lime soda and lime soda will add to the green tea shot to increase extra lime flavor.
- No ice cubes – Omit ice cubes if you prefer this shot cool rather than cold.